Wednesday, October 26, 2011

blessings in disguise

As many of you know I have been looking for employment. I thought it would be nice to get out a bit and help out with at least one bill. The girls would go to daycare. I convinced myself that going to daycare would allow them an opportunity to socialize with other children and build up their immune systems. All in all working would be a win-win situation.

After conditionally accepting a part-time position, I went in to observe and speak with the person I'd be replacing. I was in love. The job seemed a perfect fit and everyone was very friendly. Not two hours later, I learned of my correct salary. Let's just say I'm a firm believer in NOT paying to work. The pay would not even cover part time childcare fees.

I thought what a waste. What was my purpose in coming in today? Why did God feel it necessary to tease me with the idea of having a wonderful job? I decided to speak to the lady I was going to replace and let her know of the situation. This is when His plan became quite clear.

This wonderful woman I had just met gave me some honest and sincere words of wisdom. She told me that she stayed home with her children and when she looks back on her past she thinks about what she missed out on and her answer is always...nothing. She was there to watch her children grow. She admitted that her husband was not earning a high salary at that time and money was often tight, but she has always been a person that could go without. My heart warmed. She went on to explain that so many people believe that they NEED two working parents in the home, but what are you really trading in? She explained that instead of one working parent who may be stressed, you have two. Two tired adults who usually have to play catch up on the weekends and after work to get things done and sometimes dont have time to enjoy life or get out of the house because they are tired or there is laundry to finish etc.

Now, dont get me wrong. Some people like to work and others HAVE to work. There are different situations and circumstances for every family. At this time in my life, and under the current living situation my family is in, it is a blessing that I am able to stay home with my girls. It was the confirmation I needed that this is my place- at least for now. I can play with my girls, teach them, cook delicious meals, clean my home and spend my husband's off days enjoying him and our family time. Sometimes we just need a reminder. I prayed that God would give me this job if that's where I am to be. I feel that meeting this woman and having this 15minute conversation was the reason I was offered this job. You think you know what's good for you until you're slapped in the face with a double dose of reality.

If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans.

I cant wait to see how this first Halloween in Germany pans out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share the inner workings of your mind...BWAHAHAHA!