Saturday, August 6, 2011

my stomach vs the rain

There is a festival happening in Pirmasens tonight that we wanted to check out. Food, beer, live entertainment and good old fashion socializing with the natives. My stomach rumbles from hunger and the entire house shakes. Reality sets in and I look around at Hurricane RuinMyPlans pounding against my picture window. There's nothing I can do about the weather, but there is something I can do about my hunger.

You know those days when you're super hungry and you feel like you could eat everything? That's me today, but it also paired itself with one of those times when I don't know what I really want. Peeking into the refrigerator, I don't see anything worth re-heating. I do spot some ground turkey I was thawing for dinner the night before, but didn't end up using. Snatching it up, I immediately close the door because what I do see is the need to throw some old food away and now is not the time for distractions. Mold can grow for now, but we will meet again!

At this point, I still don't have a taste for anything in particular and it's becoming quite annoying. Looking at the Louis Rich ground turkey package, I see a quick and easy recipe for Turkey Tostada Bake. Hmmm... never one to turn away from a quick dish I not only decide to give this a whirl, but I also took pictures to share with you.

I don't usually follow recipes exactly and this time was no exception. I thought it would be tasty to add taco seasoning to my ground turkey for flavor. I also didn't use the recommended pie pan, but a 13x9 baking dish instead. The recipe says to add cheese on top- I did, but I also added a layer right before adding the turkey mixture. Oh, we used extra sharp cheddar as well. This turned out way better than I expected. It wasn't too thick and meaty since I used the long pan and the flavor was explosive. We almost finished the entire dish. I didn't make any sides, but this would go well with spanish rice and refried beans. Checkout the recipe page for the entire recipe and some of my other favorite dishes. This will definitely be making a regular appearance in our house!


Turkey Tostada Bake

1lb ground turkey
1/2c cheese (I used extra sharp cheddar)
1 package Taco Seasoning
1/2c medium chunky salsa
1/2c hot chunky salsa
1 package butter flake Pillsbury Crescent Rolls





Directions:
Pre-heat your oven to about 375.
Spray your baking dish w/non stick spray. I used the one for baking.
Roll out the crescent rolls into your dish.





Add the ground turkey to your skillet and mix in the taco seasoning.
(I don't add water like the package instructs you to do)






While the ground turkey is browning, shred about 1/2 cup of cheese.
Sprinkle half of the cheese over the crescent rolls.



Once the ground turkey is brown, turn off the heat and add both types of salsa to the ground turkey.







Spread the turkey mixture over the crescent rolls and cheese.









Then sprinkle the remaining cheese over the entire dish and bake.





I left mine in until I could see the sides and bottom had browned.
(Another reason I choose this pan- I can see the bottom).
This recipe is pretty spicy! I would serve with spanish rice & refried beans.  

Remove from oven and let sit for a few minutes - then devour!





1 comment:

Please share the inner workings of your mind...BWAHAHAHA!